State Health Policy Research
The following centers do state-level health policy work, either comparative work across states or health policy analysis related to individual states.
- Council of State Governments (Lexington, Kentucky)
Site includes state government news and issue alerts. Also includes ordering information for CSG State Directories (CD-ROM) which provide contact information on elective officials and administrative officials, including: a) government position; b) political party; c) first name; d) last name; e) state; f) city; g) Zip Code; h) state district; i) phone number; j) Fax number; k) E-mail address; l) preferred mailing address; m) Capitol address; n) title; and o) new to the legislature. These can be used to create customized mailing labels etc.
- Intergovernmental Health Policy Project (IHPP)
IHPP has been devoted to conducting research and reporting on health care policy in the states since 1977. Site includes a) State Health Notes; b) state health policy research; c) ForumNet Long-Term Care; d) publications; and e) other links.
- Lewin Group
The Public Health and Finance Policy Practice (PHFPP), at the core of the Lewin Group organization, provides services in a broad array of health and finance policy arenas, including: a) health care reform; b) public health; c) Medicare and Medicaid; d) primary care; e) maternal and child health; f) behavioral health; g) long-term care; h) provider payment, and i) health care workforce policy.
- National Academy of Public Administration
Independent, nonpartisan organization chartered by Congress to improve governance at federal, state and local levels, including analysis of specific functions, identification of emerging issues, strategic planning and performance measurement.
The following centers do state-level health policy work, either comparative work across states or health policy analysis related to individual states. Those with * have agreed in principle to develop a state-level health policy Web portals (see next section for details). Those with **already have such a Web portal for their own state now operational.
- AL **University of Alabama, Birmingham, Lister Hill Center for Health Policy
- AK University of Alaska, Institute for Circumpolar Health Studies
- CA: *University of California-Los Angeles, UCLA Center for Health Policy Research
- CA: University of California, San Francisco, Institute for Health and Aging
- FL: University of Florida-Gainesville, Institute for Child Health Policy
- ID: *Idaho State University, Institute of Rural Health
- KY: *University of Kentucky, Center for Health Services Management and Research
- KY: *University of Louisville School of Medicine, Institute for Public Health Research
- MD: *University of Maryland, School of Public Affairs
- MA: *Brandeis University, Schneider Institute, Center for Health Policy
- MA: *University of Massachusetts, Umass Center for Health Policy and Research
- ME: University of Southern Maine, Institute for Health Policy
- MI: **University of Southern Mississippi, Center for Community Health
- NE: **University of Nebraska, Nebraska Center for Rural Health Research
- NJ: **Rutgers University, Institute for Health, Health Care Policy and Aging Research, Center for State Health Policy
- NC **Duke University, Center for Health Policy, Law and Management
Research on state health policy issues includes a) Medicaid policy (AIDS capitation, nursing home spend-down); b) uninsured & medically indigent; c) state regulation (CON, rate-setting, CCRCs); d) medical malpractice; e) long-term care policy; and f) health manpower.
- OH: *Ohio State University, Center for Health Outcomes, Policy and Evaluation Studies
- OH: *University of Cincinnati, Institute for Health Policy and Health Services Research
- OK: **Oklahoma State University, Center for Health Policy Research
- OR: *Oregon Health & Science University, Oregon Health Policy Institute
- SD: **University of South Dakota-School of Medicine, Section on Rural Health
- TN: *Vanderbilt University, Center for Health Policy
- TX: **University of Texas-Houston, Center for Health Policy Studies
- UT: *University of Utah-Salt Lake City, Governor Scott M. Matheson Center for Health Care Studies
- VT: *University of Vermont, Center for Rural Studies
- WA: *University of Washington, Health Policy Analysis Program
- WI: **University of Wisconsin-Madison, Wisconsin Network for Health Policy Research